[wisb] Horicon Marsh today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:58:07 -0500

As Daryl reported last week, there is a sea of white along Hwy 49 through
Horicon Marsh, with hundreds of egrets and pelicans.  I stopped briefly around
noon, and again in the late afternoon today, searching through as many of the
Great Egrets as I could see from the roadway in an unsuccessful attempt to find
a Snowy.  There are also dozens of Great Blues and a few BC Night Herons still
around.  Duck numbers are beginning to build on the south side.

When I went past Beaver Dam this morning, the industrial park pond along Hwy
151 near the railroad tracks was full of geese (no white ones,) but devoid of
birds several hours later.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI