[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:14:01 -0500

I spent the morning birding the northern part of Horicon Marsh.  This
included Ledge Rd and then Hwy 49 plus the Auto Tour.  A great group
of other birders were also present in these areas and the birds were
equally as good.
I joined a group of birders looking for the Yellow-cr. Night Heron on
Ledge Rd.  A short time later (when Tom P and Paul S arrived) it flew
in from the east and spent a few minutes in the "usual" spot before
returning to the cattails to the east.

On the pond by the historical marker on 49 16 shorebird species were
found.  Briefly they included THIRTY Black-necked Stilts, 20+ Gr and
750+ Le Yellowlegs, 175 Stilt Sandpipers (!), 55 Short-billed and 2
Long-billed Dowitchers, 10 Wilson's and 3 Red-necked Phalaropes among
others.  There is a Peregrine Falcon that occasionally blasts
through, often trying for a BN Stilt (unsuccessful).

This is truly an impressive sight and one should take the time to
check it out as who knows what might turn up.  For example there were
no Stilt Sandpipers last Sat, today 175 (careful count).  Also no
phalaropes last Sat and today both Wilson's and Red-necked.

Good luck.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI