[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 00:25:19 -0600

Hello Everyone,

I made a trip to Horicon today in the steady rain.  Dike Road was
quiet.  I had a single Hooded Merganser, a few Shovelers, a few GW
Teal and lots of Canada Geese and a few Tundra Swans just past that
water intake or gate on the north side.  I also had one bird that I
couldn't ID - I have a few mediocre pictures of it if anyone would
like to try and help me ID it - I am guessing that it may have been a
pair of Rusty Blackbirds, but not too sure on that.

49 was much more active with a full array of water fowl.  I ended up
with 13 species of duck plus geese and Tundra swans.  There were large
numbers of Shovelers, GW Teal and Ruddy Ducks, decent numbers of Ring
Necked and Pintails.  I found a Northern Shrike right at the beginning
of the Auto Tour just before the "Horicon Ternpike" stop.

On Ledge Road I flushed a juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron as i
drove by, which was pretty neat.  I also saw large numbers of Tree
Sparrows and a single Swamp Sparrow.  Not a single Longspur, Snow
Bunting, Horned Lark or even a Junco anywhere today.

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County