[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 12:30:25 -0500

A check of Horicon Marsh this morning yielded 11 shorebird species, mainly
along 49 and the 1st pond on the Auto Tour Rd. The last pond on that road is
also getting good habitat but there was very little there. Best along 49 were
TEN Black-necked Stilts (apparently two families), plus a Stilt Sandpiper, 35
Short-billed Dowitchers plus one Long-billed and good numbers of both
yellowlegs. Certainly these three ponds, especially the 49 one, should be
watched in the upcoming weeks. The potential is good here.
The Trumpeter Swan family was easily seen on the pond by the pump house. There
also are five adult Trumpeters in the same area. The parents of the cygnets do
not appreciate their presence.

A lone Bonaparte's Gull was on the 49 pond, eventually flying south.

And we certainly had a great rain in the Fox Cities area yesterday. Started
mid-morning and did not stop until evening. (My gauge indicated 1.6 inches!)
Much needed and a good soaking type rainfall.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI