[wisb] Re: Horicon Marsh

  • From: Scott Weberpal <scott.weberpal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 23:30:02 -0500

Made a quick run to Horicon tonight after work, with not much to report
that others haven't already.  The boardwalk/Egret trail was busy with
shorebirds as was the pool across the road which had well over 100
yellowlegs, a couple dozen Dowitcher, along with a couple other species
mixed in.  I've been trying to see the Least Bittern on my last few trips
but again came up empty.  On Ledge Rd. I was able to locate the juvi
Yellow-Crowned Night Heron again around 7:20 PM on the about 20' north of
the road.  There was also an Am. Bittern in the cattails about 30' from the
YCNH.  Hwy. 49, as others have mentioned, has nowhere near the shorebirds
it did last week, but still had an appreciable number including at least 8
Black-necked Stilts.  I have yet to be disappointed during numerous trips
to Horicon in the last month or so - I'm also very interested to see what
the strong cold front brings in tomorrow night!
Juvi YCNH: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7708160184_6ee045a8b7_o.jpg

Scott Weberpal
Mukwonago
Waukesha Co.