[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 15:45:25 -0500

I spent this morning birding Horicon Marsh. Along 49 the Trumpeter Swan family
were on the pond east of the pump house. Due to distance there appeared to be
5 or 6 cygnets at least. On the north side of the highway (Fond du Lac co)
there was an impressive number of Great Egrets and White Pelicans feeding in a
relatively small part of the pond. 100+ pelicans were there plus at least 325
egrets. Unfortunately all were Great E. Also around were several Great Blue
Herons and Black-cr. Night Herons.
I walked the western half of the Old Marsh Rd. There is EXCELLENT shorebird
habitat in the pond beyond the boardwalk pond. I spent almost two hours there
alone and tallied the following: 30+ Killdeer plus a family group of 4 young
with their parents, 10+ Spotted Sandpipers, 25+ each Lesser Yellowlegs and
Least Sandpipers, and single Greater Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper and
Wilson's Snipe. If the water level continues as it currently is, this should
be an excellent attraction for migrating shorebirds for hopefully this as well
as the next month. As the pond is extensive and extends back quite a ways, a
scope is almost a must.

Good luck. (Once again no Black-necked Stilts could be found I have not seen
any for at least the past two weeks.)

Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI