[wisb] Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:16:12 -0500

I spent the better part of the morning birding Horicon Marsh.  Most
of the time was spent along Hwy 49, but I also checked out the Auto
Tour and the Main Dike Rds.  It was cool and windy but there was a
nice variety of birds, especially along  49.  From earlier posts, the
egrets have moved out as only about 15+ were seen total, all Great
Egrets.
There is excellent shorebird habitat along the east end of 49 and
also the last pond on the Auto Tour, plus there is a little habitat
along the Main Dike, well beyond the usual spots.  A total of 13
shorebird species was tallied.  Among the finds was a Stilt
Sandpiper, 25 Long-billed Dowitchers, 11 Black-bellied Plovers,
single Am. Golden and Semipalmated Plovers, etc.

14 duck species were found, mainly in the pond on the south side of
the historical sign.

The Northern Road woods had a small passerine flight, mainly Myrtles
but also mixed in was a Scarlet Tanager, Blue-headed Vireo, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher and a Wood Thrush.

Probably the 49 corridor should be checked in the ensuing days/weeks
due to the good habitat for shorebirds and waterfowl.

For the morning I found about 90 species, a bit surprising
considering it was less than a half day of birding.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI