[windows2000] Re: Why isn't everyone being forced to change their pass

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:41:02 +0200

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:21:49 -0400, Greg Reese wrote:

>I do this to relatives when they ask me to "take a look" at their computer
>during family gatherings.

It's just like one of those things, like eating lunch after finally
having fixed a complex software problem or whatever and ppl come by
and ask computer related questions. To me my lunch hour is holy. I
don't *wanna* speak shop when relaxing a little. I later make a
point of barging in at a meeting or something requesting info from
the "sinner". Not very nice, but that's the environment here. Also
those users that know enough about computers to make a really bad
mess out of things, but not enough to fix it again...

User: "Hey Sorin, why can't I install Kazaa, when I can install
Office?"
Me: Because it's in the domain policy document, which you promised
to read when you applied to get an pc-account. Which you also
signed and said you understood. And because you need Office. Kazaa
is not."
User: "But, hey, I need it when writing my thesis. I can't write it
w/o music."
Me: "Yeah, so...? Did you read the Domain Policy Document?"
User: "Ummm... Ok... Never mind..."

Infusing users with FUD might work for you. >>8->

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\