[windows2000] Re: Why isn't everyone being forced to change their pass

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:20:34 -0600

No, it is not a family network.  This is a non-profit organization for which
I am working.

"helpdesk staff"?  That's a good one!  The system administrator, chief
software engineer, database administrator, network administrator AND
helpdesk staff; is writing this email now.  It's all me.  (Believe me, I
NEED help, but of course I cannot hire anyone else.)

Rod

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:57:47 -0500
From: "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx>

Chris,

Although he may be a leach...aren't we all from time to time???

Lucas Boyken
Computer Systems Associates
Account Manager / Tech.

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:03:06 -0400

Don't get me wrong (not that I'm Chris).  I'm not sitting here tallying
who asks how many questions and who answers how many questions.  But
there are some people who just post when they have a problem and ignore
the list at all other times.  There are plenty of people like this, I'm
sure.  I know that I've had a few temporary subscriptions in my day.
But, most of the time, you won't even notice these people.  They just
come and go, and I personally don't pay any attention or really care.
Someone may come here for an answer and never help with any answers, but
that same person may be off on some other non-Win2K list helping all
kinds of people, so everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt.
And whether someone's been here for 1 hour or 3 years, that doesn't
matter. But, there is the occassional person who stands out and goes too
far.  I'm not accusing anyone of that though.  (Not today, anyway)

Ray at work

p.s.  My help-provided to help-needed ratio on this list is more on the
leech side, I'd say.  I will burn in Hell.  [:

******************************
personal and confidential use
of the recipient(s) named above.  Distribution, publication, or
retransmission of this message is strictly
prohibited.  This message may be a bank to client communication and as such
is priviliged and confidential.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and
delete the original message.

The sender of this e-mail specifically "opts-out" of the Electronic
Signatures and Global and National
Commerce Act (E-Sign) and any and all similar state and federal acts.
Accordingly, but without limitation,
any and all documents, contracts, and ageements must contain a handwritten
signature of the sender to
be legal, valid, and enforceable.
******************************

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:11:32 -0500

Ray,

Don't try to get into pi$$ing matches here.  I have tried on this list
and thethin list, both of which I was asked to politely keep myself to
myself.  Just some friendly words of advice from someone who has felt
the wrath of the list.  Please heed my words...you may have a great
point, but sometimes they fall upon deaf ears.  By the way, I didn't
take it far enough last time...

Ok, not really, but if I wanted to, I could have gone a lot further.

Lucas W. Boyken
Computer Systems Associates
Account Manager / Technical Representative
lboyken@xxxxxxxxx
Company Phone:  800.222.7601
Office Phone:  515.332.2751
Fax:  515.332.5687

Don't get me wrong (not that I'm Chris).  I'm not sitting here tallying
who asks how many questions and who answers how many questions.  But
there are some people who just post when they have a problem and ignore
the list at all other times.  There are plenty of people like this, I'm
sure.  I know that I've had a few temporary subscriptions in my day.
But, most of the time, you won't even notice these people.  They just
come and go, and I personally don't pay any attention or really care.
Someone may come here for an answer and never help with any answers, but
that same person may be off on some other non-Win2K list helping all
kinds of people, so everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt.
And whether someone's been here for 1 hour or 3 years, that doesn't
matter. But, there is the occassional person who stands out and goes too
far.  I'm not accusing anyone of that though.  (Not today, anyway)

Ray at work

p.s.  My help-provided to help-needed ratio on this list is more on the
leech side, I'd say.  I will burn in Hell.  [:

**********************************
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.
[...]

Msg: #8 in digest
From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [windows2000] Job Posting
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:17:09 -0700

Our company is getting ready to hire a second employee for the IT
Department, if anyone is interested please send me a resume with salary
history.  I've attached a copy of the HR departments official posting in
both MS Word and OpenOffice format.  Don't be too intimidated by what they
listed, I'm basically looking for someone who has a reasonable amount of
computer and networking knowledge, with a desire to learn more.  The
position is in Riverside, CA and no relocation is offered.  We'll only be
hiring locally (which means LA metro area), and the position is full time.
We're a small company so you probably won't make as much as you might
somewhere else, but it's great growth and learning opportunity, and could
lead to one of those "I was just in the right place at the right time" deals

as we continue to grow.  If you have any questions about the position feel
free to email me off list.
Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Q: How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb ?
A: It can't be done; it's a hardware problem."

-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed
-- File: job_ad3.sxw

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- File: job_ad3.doc

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:21:49 -0700

>From: "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx>
>Chris,
>
>Although he may be a leach...aren't we all from time to time???

I have nothing against people who need help, in fact I enjoy giving
assistance when I can, however Sen has repeatedly shown himself to be a
lazy, non-help returning, don't do my research kind of schlup that really
irritates me.  The list is here to help people help themselves, not to do
everything for them.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Q: How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb ?
A: It can't be done; it's a hardware problem."

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:28:45 -0500
From: "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx>

You're right...

Death to shorty!  Well, not really...but I thought I would get into the
spirit of things.  I guess you can look at this a number of ways Chris.
Yes, he may be a leach, a slag, a blood sucking son of a motherless
goat, but that doesn't mean we should all kick him when he is down.
People are what they are, we can scream at them till we are blue in the
face, but they will still be who they've been all along.

A great friend once told me, "Don't stress the small stuff...in the end,
its all small stuff."

Take it easy Chris, don't let the lazy, good for nothin's get under your
skin...

Peace out.

Luke

>Although he may be a leach...aren't we all from time to time???

I have nothing against people who need help, in fact I enjoy giving
assistance when I can, however Sen has repeatedly shown himself to be a
lazy, non-help returning, don't do my research kind of schlup that
really
irritates me.  The list is here to help people help themselves, not to
do
everything for them.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Q: How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb ?
A: It can't be done; it's a hardware problem."

------------------------------

Msg: #11 in digest
From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net"; <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:37:33 -0400

Ay yi yi... Lucas... you haven't been around long enough to know who is
helpful and who isn't.
Chris and Ray have been around for like forever and don't need any words of
wisdom from you  who has caused me grief on both lists. I wish you would
continue as you say to "keep yourself to yourself".

I'll concur and say he is indeed a leech and hasn't helped a soul ever on
the list and has continued to ask questions that could be EASILY answered
had he cracked a book or googled them.   Ray is correct..some people do come
and go...it is those who are not helpful at all (ever) that stay around
forever that ruffle all of our feathers.  It is these people we label at our
help desk as Picnic's  (problem in chair not in computer)

JK

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:08:52 -0700
From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Only one comment from the peanut gallery...me,  although one should be use
to it by now, especially if you have been on the list for awhile. It's very
hard to get use to it if one has any consideration for others. It does amaze
me that there is a tally going on though. As I have stated before, I will do
whatever it takes or what I can think of BEFORE asking a question here. That
IMO is what the list has come to. I know I am a LONG way from mastering W2K
(Pro and AS), but I'm trying to learn more each day. Even sitting on the
sideline, but I do come across a problem I can't seem to find an answer to
and when I do think I might need some help or think about asking a question,
sometimes I think having open heart surgery without drugs would be less
painful! :-O

Trust me, there has been MANY questions needed answer, but I will do some
googling and so forth, but I have been around the block a few times. There
are those who hasn't, and sure, the responses, snide remarks and so forth
might make that person who's a lurker never ask a question. So if it is a
requirement to post a helpful reply or any reply whatsoever to be in the
good graces of some, then that should be the list policy. Make it known that
once you subscribe to the list, you are REQUIRED to help someone, or you'll
get the boot. Or better yet, why not require someone to help someone else
BEFORE they ask for help themselves?

People join this list among others usually to GET help. If it's going to be
a "Good Ole Boys" list, then that also should be stated from the start.
Anyway, sometimes I do understand why people outside this country think ALL
Americans are arogant!  That's another topic for another day!  I wonder what
my tally is up to?   One last thing and I can finally eat dinner, for those
of us who are older, remember back in the days of the BBS? Had a file
download section. Some person logs on and downloads, downloads, downloads,
and downloads, not ONCE upload anything. Well, the vast majority of sysops
would then implement a dl/ul ratio system. Of course his/her "friends" had
unlimited access and so forth, while the new people came in the aftermath.
Now the point is, (going back to an earlier statement) from now on, make it
a policy that people joining the list HAS to help someone either BEFORE they
get help or after a certain number of helpful messages from them are posted.
I mean there
  IS a tally going on, correct? <vbseg>  Sounds rather asinine doesn't it?
So does the other crap that goes on here.  Sorry, I don't care how long
someone been here or there, that would NEVER fly on any of my lists. I'm the
last person who would preach PC'ness (not computers) but that was rather
rude I think and it was uncalled for. There's more than one way to call
someone an a$$hole without actually saying it.

Maybe a note from the listowner or moderator? That wouldn't fly either
because......yes, there IS no policy, so there's no precedence.  Well, I
guess we have what they say across the pond, A Sticky Wicket!<sp>  :-O

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:28:45 -0500
While searching for that "any" key, "Lucas Boyken" <lboyken@xxxxxxxxx> said
this:

LB> You're right...
LB>
LB> Death to shorty!  Well, not really...but I thought I would get into the
LB> spirit of things.  I guess you can look at this a number of ways Chris.
LB> Yes, he may be a leach, a slag, a blood sucking son of a motherless
LB> goat, but that doesn't mean we should all kick him when he is down.
LB> People are what they are, we can scream at them till we are blue in the
LB> face, but they will still be who they've been all along.
LB>
LB> A great friend once told me, "Don't stress the small stuff...in the end,
LB> its all small stuff."
LB>
LB> Take it easy Chris, don't let the lazy, good for nothin's get under your
LB> skin...
LB>
LB> Peace out.
LB>
LB> Luke

------------------------------

Msg: #13 in digest
From: "Amer Karim" <amerk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [windows2000] Re: svchost.exe
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:09:30 -0700

You may have been hit by the RPC worm that's now in the wild.  Apparently
the MS03-026 patch for the RPC security flaw introduces a DOS vulnerability
in the DCOM service which causes that service to crash, which in turn would
generate a number of svchost.exe errors.  After applying the patch, turn off
the DCOM service, and follow the removal instructions for the worm

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MSBLAST
.A
or
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.htm

HTH.

Regards,
Amer Karim
Nautilis Information Systems
e-mail: amerk@xxxxxxxxx, mamerk@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:51:25 -0400

No, no, Lucas!  In no way did I mean any sort of attack or anything like
that on you.  I was just trying to explain the out-of-ordinary
reactions.  No offense to you!  Sorry!

Ray at home

------------------------------

Msg: #15 in digest
From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:51:43 +0200
pass

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:47:21 -0700, Chris Berry wrote:

>>From: "Rod Falanga" <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Hmmm.... maybe that's it.  We haven't ever forced people to change their
>>passwords, so I suspect that most haven't ever (I know that in the 7 years

>>have been there, I have only changed mine twice).
>
>I can't even begin to describe how bad that is, are you serious?

Umm... I think that is a university problem. The PhD-students at
our lab never want to change their passwords. When I first started
my work at the dept, the previous "sysadmin" told me he had managed
to reach a consensus by having a 6 month period between changes. If
the students would have had their way, it would have been 5 years
or some such. I implemented, by force, a 2 month period for
changing the pwds. I'd rather have it at one month though. I might
do it stealthily anyway. >>8->

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web:
http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5
signals >> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46
(0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\

End of windows2000 Digest V2 #364

This Weeks Sponsor