[windows2000] Re: Porn Crazy Users!

  • From: <SEspeseth@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:17:16 -0500

It may depend on the os.

Win2k will wait only long enough for the positive response before quering the
second dns server. So if the second server can resolve the ip it responds
before the primary times out. Otherwise a secondary dns would never be used, if
the resolution stopped with the first saying domain doesn't exist. If the first
has a bogus entry(127.0.0.1), that is different.

Our configuration for home office users places our corp dns as primary and our
isp dns as secondary. When they are not connected to our vpn network(and thus
unable to reach primary dns)they can still browse the web without a problem,
because the recieve name resolution from the secondary.

per ms:
http://tinyurl.com/j18r

Windows 2000 Professional allows multiple DNS servers to be specified. The
first DNS server, known as the preferred DNS server, can be followed by an
unlimited number of alternate DNS servers. The resolver queries the DNS servers
in the following order:

The resolver sends the query to the first server on the preferred adapter's
search list and waits for one second for a response.
If the resolver does not receive a response from the first server within one
second, it sends the query to the first DNS servers on all adapters still under
consideration and waits two seconds for a response.
If the resolver does not receive a response from any server within two seconds,
the resolver sends the query to all DNS servers on all adapters still under
consideration and waits another two seconds for a response.
If the resolver still does not receive a response from any server, it sends the
query to all DNS servers on all adapters still under consideration and waits
four seconds for a response.
If it still does not receive a response from any server, the resolver sends the
query to all DNS servers on all adapters still under consideration and waits
eight seconds for a response.
If the resolver receives a positive response, it stops querying for the name,
adds the response to the cache and returns the response to the client.

If it has not received a response from any server by the end of the
eight-second time period, the resolver responds with a time-out. Also, if it
has not received a response from any server on a specified adapter, then for
the next 30 seconds, the resolver responds to all queries destined for servers
on that adapter with a time-out and does not query those servers.

If at any point the resolver receives a negative response from a server, it
removes every server on that adapter from consideration during this search. For
example, if in step 2, the first server on Alternate Adapter A gave a negative
response, the resolver would not send the query to any other server on the list
for Alternate Adapter A.

The resolver keeps track of which servers answer queries more quickly, and
might move servers up or down on the list based on how quickly they reply to
queries.