[windows2000] Re: Just how does DNS work on W2k3

  • From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:19:38 -0500

Comments in line....

>>Presumably, by this you mean these are three distinct subnets, using a
class c? (ie 255.255.255.0 subnet mask)

Yes, that is correct.  All three are distinct networks.

>> Does the DC do any routing? What does it's routing table look like?

No. No routing at all.

>> Are all these subnets included in sites and services?

Good point.. .Checking now...  Nothing... Although, now that I look at it, a
site is what I should have for each of these subnets.  However, when I first
read about sites, I took it to be locations away from your distinct network.
It appears it can be both - inter and intra....

>> Are you asking for the algorithm used for a machine (windows 2000
onwards) to obtain site information, and thus the appropriate DC?

Not necessarily the algorithm per say, but what does the client actually
send the DC.  Is it a broadcast asking for DCs, then what?  Make sense?

>> Do all three interfaces register in DNS?

>> If you use nslookup (in interactive mode), do a set type=srv, and request
_ldap._tcp.<DNS name of your domain> what do you get - and is it what you
expect?

Yes, that was the first thing that I checked.  It appears to be working
fine.  I'm not sure how to use the interactive mode - never tried it...
Gonna learn quickly as I research it... However, by doing a NSLookup on the
DC "zeus" I get the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup zeus
Server:  zeus.sandhills.edu
Address:  172.16.12.25

Name:    zeus.sandhills.edu
Addresses:  172.16.12.25, 172.16.20.25, 198.85.71.237

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

It appears to be working fine... From what I can see.  I did put ptr records
in for each of the subnets in the Forward LookUp Zones.  I can't find my
notes, but I remember reading somewhere on why to do that.  Each of the
subnets has a reverse lookup zone as well.

Rick