[windows2000] Re: Just how does DNS work on W2k3

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:00:39 -0000

Comments inline...

So what does route print give you? Specifically, is network destination
0.0.0.0 pointing to the interface you think it should be?

> >> Are all these subnets included in sites and services?
>
> Good point.. .Checking now...  Nothing... Although, now that
> I look at it, a site is what I should have for each of these
> subnets.  However, when I first read about sites, I took it
> to be locations away from your distinct network. It appears
> it can be both - inter and intra....

How would sites and services understand which subnets are part of which
site, unless you tell it? Given VLSM and CIDR, these days, it can be a
fairly complex picture.

> >> Are you asking for the algorithm used for a machine (windows 2000
> onwards) to obtain site information, and thus the appropriate DC?
>
> Not necessarily the algorithm per say, but what does the
> client actually send the DC.  Is it a broadcast asking for
> DCs, then what?  Make sense?

One of the first things it'll ask, is for resolvables for the _ldap
service.

> >> Do all three interfaces register in DNS?

You didn't answer this?

> >> If you use nslookup (in interactive mode), do a set type=srv, and
> >> request
> _ldap._tcp.<DNS name of your domain> what do you get - and is
> it what you expect?
>
> Yes, that was the first thing that I checked.  It appears to
> be working fine.  I'm not sure how to use the interactive
> mode - never tried it... Gonna learn quickly as I research
> it... However, by doing a NSLookup on the DC "zeus" I get the
> following:
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup zeus
> Server:  zeus.sandhills.edu
> Address:  172.16.12.25
>
> Name:    zeus.sandhills.edu
> Addresses:  172.16.12.25, 172.16.20.25, 198.85.71.237
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
>
> It appears to be working fine... From what I can see.  I did
> put ptr records in for each of the subnets in the Forward
> LookUp Zones.  I can't find my notes, but I remember reading
> somewhere on why to do that.  Each of the subnets has a
> reverse lookup zone as well.

That didn't really answer my question. nslookup in interactive mode is
merely typing nslookup with no arguments. You then should get a '>'
prompt. After that, type set type=srv <RETURN> (which will provide
matches for SRV records, then _ldap._tcp.<DNS name of your domain here>
<RETURN> which should show all the hits that clients will get returned
to them, when asking for providers of _ldap.

And my other question, too, which I forgot in my first reply - does your
DC / DNS server listen on all interfaces for DNS resolution - and if so,
is that a conscious, designed thing?

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.