[windows2000] Re: Just how does DNS work on W2k3

  • From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:10:43 -0500

Inline again...

>>Actually the question was regarding whether all NICs (well their TCP/IP
configuration, really) register themselves with DNS.

I'm not sure how to check this.  Although, in DNS each NIC (subnet) has a
PTR record for the DC representing the IP address of the subnet it sits
upon.  Is this what you wanted?

>> When the question is asked, there will be three results.

>>I suspect this may not be what you want. I could be wrong, but unless you
have other requirements, you may not want all NICs to be registering
themselves - maybe only one.

And that's exactly what's happening.  Although, I know of no way around it.

> >> And my other question, too, which I forgot in my first
> reply - does
> >> your
> DC / DNS server listen on all interfaces for DNS resolution -
> and if so, is that a conscious, designed thing?

Actually, I did check this - and yes, it is listening on all three
interfaces.  My reasons are (what I thought was) pretty simple.  If all
users on all subnets needed a DNS server (and they do) they why not allow
them to send it to the one their subnet, no?

Also,  I've setup the sites and added particular subnets.  I'm assuming that
when I attempt to logon from one of the subnets, it will force me to use the
server (which is the same for all three) that I've identified, no?

Thanks for your help,
Rick