[windows2000] Re: Just how does DNS work on W2k3

  • From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:45:43 -0500

Comments inline...

>> So what does route print give you? Specifically, is network destination pointing to the interface you think it should be?

Not sure what it's supposed to give... But here is what it says...

IPv4 Route Table
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x10003 ...00 10 5a 08 c6 ae ...... 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC
0x10004 ...00 02 b3 ce f6 48 ...... Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LAN on
0x10005 ...00 02 b3 ce f6 49 ...... Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LAN on
Motherboard #2
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
     20      1     20     20     20     20     20     20     20     20     20     20     20     20      1      1      1
Default Gateway:
Persistent Routes:

>>How would sites and services understand which subnets are part of which
site, unless you tell it? Given VLSM and CIDR, these days, it can be a
fairly complex picture.

A very good point.  Working on setting that up now...

>> You didn't answer this?

Must've missed it.  What exactly do you mean by resolve.  If by resolve you
mean, can I do an Nslookup on any of the subnets (NSLookup
zeus.sandhills.edu) yes, they all resolve to the IP address (all three

>> That didn't really answer my question. nslookup in interactive mode is
merely typing nslookup with no arguments. You then should get a '>' prompt.
After that, type set type=srv <RETURN> (which will provide matches for SRV
records, then _ldap._tcp.<DNS name of your domain here> <RETURN> which
should show all the hits that clients will get returned to them, when asking
for providers of _ldap.

Sorry...  Here is it.  Not sure what it's supposed to say though.

Default Server:  zeus.sandhills.edu

> set type=srv
> _ldap._tcp.sandhills.edu
Server:  zeus.sandhills.edu

_ldap._tcp.sandhills.edu        SRV service location:
          priority       = 0
          weight         = 100
          port           = 389
          svr hostname   = zeus.sandhills.edu
zeus.sandhills.edu      internet address =
zeus.sandhills.edu      internet address =
zeus.sandhills.edu      internet address =

>> And my other question, too, which I forgot in my first reply - does your
DC / DNS server listen on all interfaces for DNS resolution - and if so, is
that a conscious, designed thing?

You know, I'm not sure if it does.  How does one check that?  I didn't do
it, but if it happens by default, then I'd assume so...

This Weeks Sponsor Pearl Software