[windows2000] Re: Just how does DNS work on W2k3

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:16:01 -0000

Comments inline...

This one being the one I was most interested in, it is saying that the
NIC that is 172.16.12.1 is the default NIC (unless it knows otherwise).

> >> You didn't answer this?
>
> Must've missed it.  What exactly do you mean by resolve.  If
> by resolve you mean, can I do an Nslookup on any of the
> subnets (NSLookup
> zeus.sandhills.edu) yes, they all resolve to the IP address (all three
> actually)

Actually the question was regarding whether all NICs (well their TCP/IP
configuration, really) register themselves with DNS.

> >> That didn't really answer my question. nslookup in
> interactive mode
> >> is
> merely typing nslookup with no arguments. You then should get
> a '>' prompt. After that, type set type=srv <RETURN> (which
> will provide matches for SRV records, then _ldap._tcp.<DNS
> name of your domain here> <RETURN> which should show all the
> hits that clients will get returned to them, when asking for
> providers of _ldap.
>
> Sorry...  Here is it.  Not sure what it's supposed to say though.
>
> C:\>nslookup
> Default Server:  zeus.sandhills.edu
> Address:  172.16.12.25
>
> > set type=srv
> > _ldap._tcp.sandhills.edu
> Server:  zeus.sandhills.edu
> Address:  172.16.12.25
>
> _ldap._tcp.sandhills.edu        SRV service location:
>           priority       = 0
>           weight         = 100
>           port           = 389
>           svr hostname   = zeus.sandhills.edu
> zeus.sandhills.edu      internet address = 172.16.12.25
> zeus.sandhills.edu      internet address = 172.16.20.25
> zeus.sandhills.edu      internet address = 198.85.71.237

There you have it.

When the question is asked, there will be three results.

I suspect this may not be what you want. I could be wrong, but unless
you have other requirements, you may not want all NICs to be registering
themselves - maybe only one.

> >> And my other question, too, which I forgot in my first
> reply - does
> >> your
> DC / DNS server listen on all interfaces for DNS resolution -
> and if so, is that a conscious, designed thing?
>
> You know, I'm not sure if it does.  How does one check that?
> I didn't do it, but if it happens by default, then I'd assume so...

If you've left it to defaults, it will.

You can check by opening the DNS GUI / MMC and getting the properties of
the server.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.