[windows2000] Re: Just how does DNS work on W2k3

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:56:21 -0000

Comments inline...

Presumably, by this you mean these are three distinct subnets, using a
class c? (ie 255.255.255.0 subnet mask)

Does the DC do any routing? What does it's routing table look like?

Are all these subnets included in sites and services?

> So, when a student machine logs in automatically using
> TweakUI it doesn't get the login script.  However, when we
> force a login w/o using TweakUI, the login script processes
> fine.  We put a sniffer on the network and found the
> following:
>
> When the student asks for permissions to login it sends a
> message asking for a DC.  I was told that it returned the
> three address of the DNS server (which in this case is also
> the DNS server)  So, it traverses our network finding the
> subnet that responded first.  In one case (.20) the client
> side(on the .12 network) will never see that side (the .20)
> of the network. If 198 responded, the client's traffic
> traverses through the network out past the router to come
> inbound and get on the 198 side of the network. Thus, the
> client not waiting for the traffic to return - so it appears
> to time out and use the cached credentials.
>
> So, I guess my question is... how is this process supposed to
> work?  When a client wants to login to a DC that it is a
> member of, what actually happens? Client is XP Pro SP1 -
> Server is W2k3 Server all patches.

Are you asking for the algorithm used for a machine (windows 2000
onwards) to obtain site information, and thus the appropriate DC?

> To me, it appears we have something incorrectly setup on the
> DC/DNS.  In NT4.0, when a client on the .12 network requested
> something from the DC, it responded on the .12 network.
> Almost as if it was intelligent enough to determine the
> subnet the request came in on....
>
> Any ideas?

Do all three interfaces register in DNS?

If you use nslookup (in interactive mode), do a set type=srv, and
request _ldap._tcp.<DNS name of your domain> what do you get - and is it
what you expect?

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.