[windows2000] Re: Backup Storage Media

  • From: CSchwab@xxxxxxxx
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 08:06:51 -0400

I been using a LTO-1 drive for a couple of years. Prior, my backup was
running 5-6 hours with verify on a DDS-4 tape, when I moved to the LTO-1,
the time dropped to 1-2 hours, plus we went from 20-40GB to a 100-200GB
tape.

Exploring the use of the new LTO-3. You may not be able to get a LTO-1. I
think LTO 2 is the current with LOT-3 just being released.

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Backup Storage Media
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:32:38 +0200

Andy Wolstenholme <> wrote on Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:56 AM:

We've used LTOs for several years now, with an HP storageworks 215e
tapedrive.
No problem so far. I expected them to wear out faster, but so far I
haven't
had to exchange any of them. The tapes are a bit on the expensive side and
we
had to buy like a dozen of them or so in order to keep a few generations
and
to be able to cycle them, though.

I actually just finished rebuilding the backup server yesterday with
win2k3,
after having run run win2k on it for many years. The stoneage Tapeware app
we
used before, now seems to have given up with win2k3, but the builtin
windows
Backup applet works just fine.

We used 1/2GB DLTs before the current 100/200GB LTOs, but we grew out of
those. Data has a tendency to grow over time, and never decrease for some
darn
reason... 8-}

Clinton A. Schwab

CPAC, Inc.
Network Administrator
Phone (585) 382-2331
Fax (585) 382-2391
E-Mail cschwab@xxxxxxxx

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please