[windows2000] Re: Backup Storage Media

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:53:10 +0200

A department I serve with IT-support is a test-case. They previously had a
outsorced tivoli storage backup solution over at the central IT-office at our
university, but it proved way to expensive in the long run.

I suggested they'd try a hd-only solution which they did.

Works like this: The main fileserver which holds the homefolders, profiles and
other shared docs automatically (scheduled script) copies once a week all the
mentioned folders to a secondary fileserver (using robocopy /MIR), which has a
2x250GB ata-133 windows built-in software raid0 array. Both servers have
volume shadow copy services enabled. The 2ry server can store two sets of
backed up files and folders, essentially two weeks worth of data. Either which
way it works like a charm. We've had to try out the "restore" function a
couple of times, and it has always worked. It's been running for a year or so
now.

My main concern is that this is ata drives. The likelyhood that they fail is a
lot bigger than with scsi-drives, but this would have meant an entirely other
price tag. My plan is that the drives on either the 1ry or the 2ry server
(both have software raid0), most probably won't fail simultaneously (dangerous
assumption though...), so there will always be a fairly recent copy of all
files available on either of the servers. This means that I'll be able to
replace any drive on one server while still having the files availble on the
other.

Anyway, the cost for the two extra drives on the secondary server was
negligible compared to what a new tape drive, tapes and backup software would
have costed. This online backup solution is next to free comparatively.

For now the 500GB raid0 array is more than enough. We're talking a small
department with about a dozen or so users with small homefolders (<=1GB/user),
but with a huge shared docs library (>200GB).

  _____

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nik Hunt
Posted At: Friday, May 19, 2006 12:04 PM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: Backup Storage Media

with the cost of drives falling all the time, i'm considering replacing all my
tapes with hot-swappable hard drives.

you'd get an immeidate speed increase + loads of storage.

Is anyone doing this already?

On 19/05/06, CSchwab@xxxxxxxx <CSchwab@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I been using a LTO-1 drive for a couple of years. Prior, my backup was running
5-6 hours with verify on a DDS-4 tape, when I moved to the LTO-1, the time
dropped to 1-2 hours, plus we went from 20-40GB to a 100-200GB tape.

Exploring the use of the new LTO-3. You may not be able to get a LTO-1. I
think LTO 2 is the current with LOT-3 just being released.

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:32:38 +0200

Andy Wolstenholme <> wrote on Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:56 AM:

We've used LTOs for several years now, with an HP storageworks 215e tapedrive.
No problem so far. I expected them to wear out faster, but so far I haven't
had to exchange any of them. The tapes are a bit on the expensive side and we
had to buy like a dozen of them or so in order to keep a few generations and
to be able to cycle them, though.

I actually just finished rebuilding the backup server yesterday with win2k3,
after having run run win2k on it for many years. The stoneage Tapeware app we
used before, now seems to have given up with win2k3, but the builtin windows
Backup applet works just fine.

We used 1/2GB DLTs before the current 100/200GB LTOs, but we grew out of
those. Data has a tendency to grow over time, and never decrease for some darn
reason... 8-}

Clinton A. Schwab

CPAC, Inc.
Network Administrator
Phone (585) 382-2331
Fax (585) 382-2391
E-Mail cschwab@xxxxxxxx The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

--

Nik Hunt
mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx