[windows2000] Re: Backup Storage Media

  • From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:20:51 -0400

Hot swap aftermarket drives?  Can you show us an example?

I'm using a Maxtor networked external (alternating with DAT) - most times
the backup program sees it - occasionally not!  No rhyme or reason...

Mark

  _____

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nik Hunt
Posted At: Friday, May 19, 2006 12:04 PM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: Backup Storage Media

with the cost of drives falling all the time, i'm considering replacing all
my tapes with hot-swappable hard drives.

you'd get an immeidate speed increase + loads of storage.

Is anyone doing this already?

On 19/05/06, CSchwab@xxxxxxxx <CSchwab@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I been using a LTO-1 drive for a couple of years. Prior, my backup was
running 5-6 hours with verify on a DDS-4 tape, when I moved to the LTO-1,
the time dropped to 1-2 hours, plus we went from 20-40GB to a 100-200GB
tape.

Exploring the use of the new LTO-3. You may not be able to get a LTO-1. I
think LTO 2 is the current with LOT-3 just being released.

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:32:38 +0200

Andy Wolstenholme <> wrote on Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:56 AM:

We've used LTOs for several years now, with an HP storageworks 215e
tapedrive.
No problem so far. I expected them to wear out faster, but so far I haven't
had to exchange any of them. The tapes are a bit on the expensive side and
we
had to buy like a dozen of them or so in order to keep a few generations and
to be able to cycle them, though.

I actually just finished rebuilding the backup server yesterday with win2k3,

after having run run win2k on it for many years. The stoneage Tapeware app
we
used before, now seems to have given up with win2k3, but the builtin windows
Backup applet works just fine.

We used 1/2GB DLTs before the current 100/200GB LTOs, but we grew out of
those. Data has a tendency to grow over time, and never decrease for some
darn
reason... 8-}

Clinton A. Schwab

CPAC, Inc.