Re: difference in wily ?

  • From: "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mhw+wily@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 09 May 2002 11:06:23 +0100

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 02:37, Serge Gagnon wrote:
> I compile the new version of wily( 0.13.41) , the old same ( 0.13.41)
>  that I have but
> the version with the 9-lib.tar-gz .... the latest, you know what I mean ?

Yes, I think I know what you mean: the version of wily that I packaged
to use the 9libs libraries, rather than Gary's original distribution.

> Am I a little problem with my memory ( in my head ) or when I start the new
> wily ( with the same old script that I used [wily -p9fn path_to/unicode.9.font
> -a 4 ~/.guide]) I got two new windows that I never had before : a window "-a"
> and an other "4" and this option doesn't exist in this "new" version ?

The usage message says this:
wily [-c ncolumns] [-t tabsize] [-e command]
     [-f|-p9font varfont] [-F|-p9fixed fixfont] [file1 ...]

which might be me trying to make the options compatible with acme. Yes,
from the manual page:
acme [ -f varfont ] [ -F fixfont ] [ -c ncol ] [ -b ] [ -l file | file
... ]

> I look in the wily's homepage and didn't find any information about
> this change.

Sorry; there's obviously a bit of confusion as to what's considered the
official version of wily. The 9libs one was more a proof of concept to
show how the 9libs build system would work (download the packages you
want, build them in one go). It never really got integrated into the
main release (though that's probably more due to there being no wily
development activity at all at the time than anything else, I think).

> By the way -> in my old version, the arrow key moved the cursor
> trough the char, now... it react like acme... tell me that I do not
> have a problem with my memory :) I'm too young to be  /* I dont know
> this word in english */ "elzeimer" ...

That's something I pulled out of the libXg library for 9libs: if I
remember correctly wily uses a version of libXg that has extra code to
recognise the cursor arrows, but which wasn't consistent with the libXg
used by other programs (sam for example).

-Mark.