Re: again, how to find the line number?

  • From: spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 09:48:14 +0100

> it is hard for me to decide what the right output should be.
> it works like mark in emacs-family, where it is more often used to
> select an area, but occasioanlly to go back. so the default is
> for selection but by a B3 sweep of the :#num, one can go back
> as well.

Indeed, I see the logic;

> i know some people have different wily usage patterns
it is surprising how much it varies; even between the 3 people in this
office that use wily, we all use it in remarkbly different ways.

When I think about it, the main use that I have for Anchor is not to select
text,
but to find the line number so that I can set a breakpoint in a debugger,
then I may need to examine other pieces of code and return to the original
point.
I suppose that Split is probably a better way of doing things.
And even better would be some code to interact with the debugger, but
I have no time to even think about it.

Anyway, my copy of wily does what I use, I do not suggest that
these changes are put into the main version.

> (i rarely chord for instance, partly because chords are very hard
> on hand muscles on most mice - if anyone knows of a 3b-mouse that can
> make chording feel natural, i'd love to hear about it)

I have never had a problem with chording; i keep wanting to add more chords
to my copy (search backwards B3-B2 for example). My mouse
is a Logitech M-C43 according to the label if it helps.

> to keep the anchors; they clutter the file tag area quite quickly
> but they seem to belong there... sigh. maybe i'll have ^R in the
> tag area to restore tag to some clean state or something.

A separate configurable typeface for the tags may help, but that is not solving
the real problem.

Ian