Re: difference in wily ?

  • From: Richard C Bilson <rcbilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:26:49 -0400 (EDT)

From:    "James A. Robinson" <jim.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Re: ^X, ^Y, ^Z
>
> > The idea is that you can exploit the fact that you have two hands:
> > one to position and select with the mouse, one to cut and paste
> > with the keyboard.
>
> Unless you are like me and happen to mouse with your left hand. =)

Which invalidates the specific suggestion, but not necessarily the
principle.  Although, come to think of it, picking specific letters
for their ergonomic function does tie you to a specific keyboard layout
as well.  So maybe that's too big a swamp to wade into (although, if I
had to use a laptop with no external mouse, I'd probably hack wily so
that it worked in the way that I described).

In other news...

From:    "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mhw+wily@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I've noticed that if I drag windows over the top of a wily window that
> it appears to refresh the whole of the bitmap, not just the obscured
> part of the window, if you see what I mean. That results in a certain
> amount of flashing. I don't know enough about the redraw strategy that
> libXg uses to work out why that might happen though. I have a suspicion
> that it might simply create a window with backing store and let the X
> server deal with preserving the content, but I don't know.

Yes, I've noticed this too.  It's never bothered me enough to complain,
but maybe that's because my X servers are sufficiently fast for this.
I am using the 9-libs version, but that's only because until yesterday
I thought it was the official version (I got it from some supposedly
official ftp site in Australia about a year ago).

The comment about sam giving an I/O error also resonates with me --
sam-9libs won't start the graphics side for me, either on Linux 2.4
or Solaris 2.8 (although I recall it working on Solaris 2.6).  But I'm
probably wasting my breath, if the 9libs distribution is unofficial and
unmaintained anyway.