Re: difference in wily ?

  • From: Richard C Bilson <rcbilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:49:12 -0400 (EDT)

> Mark H. Wilkinson <mhw+wily@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On the laptop I was using, I hacked the X settings to support F1 F2 F3 as
> alternative buttons for the Shift-NumLock mode, which is mostly OK, but
> autorepeat bites you.  Chording is more of a concern than simple
> cut-and-paste.  If we start supporting control codes, ^A and ^E aren't far
> away, are they?

I think there's a key difference here.  I believe there's some real
evidence to show that the ^X ^C ^V style of cut-and-paste is a win
(vs. a moused menu at least), whereas keyboard-based cursor positioning
is always a losing proposition.  The idea is that you can exploit the
fact that you have two hands: one to position and select with the mouse,
one to cut and paste with the keyboard.

Don't get me wrong -- I would never give up B1-B2 without a fight.  But if
I'm stuck on a two-button mouse, I'd rather involve my otherwise-unused
left hand than be trying to aim for "Cut Paste Snarf" in the column tag
(especially with those awful laptop pseudo-mice).  Much as I admire
wily's lack of keyboard commands, at the end of the day I'm going to
advocate the approach that makes me more efficient.

Your key remapping idea is one that I'll have to keep in mind, though.

- Richard