[visurfacereader] Re: Please pass this around, Logic Pro X accessibility overview draft 5.1

  • From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visurfacereader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:45:25 +0100

Hi Bryan,

Here you go:

By default, Logic receives MIDI from any active MIDI input port. The
exception are ports used in the Control Surfaces setup as the Control
Surface setup is "upstream" from the environment as is not passed thru. The
only place to see and manipulate this traffic is in Logic's MIDI Environment
window. (FYI, that window is only available when "Preferences > Advanced
Tools..." is enabled and the subsequent "MIDI" checkbox is activated.).

Once you have that window open, you go to the Clicks and Ports layer using
the menu found in the Inspector at the left:

Once there, you'll see the "Physical Input" object which has multiple small
triangles flanking it's left edge. The only one cabled us the top one which
is labeled "Sum".  This is the port which as all MIDI input coming into it
and one of them unfortunately is your virtual port, which is spitting out
(or echoing) Mackie Control data.

The first way to filter the Surface Reader data is to disconnect the Sum
cable and connect only the port (or ports) you want to be MIDI sources.
Here, I've it's now set to send data only from Port A and Port B.

The other option is to leave the "Sum" port connected and to cable any port
you don't want to receive data from to a "dead end". The best candidate for
that dead end is a Monitor Object, as you can then also see whether and what
data is coming from that port. A Monitor object can be added by selecting
"Monitor" from the "New" menu;

This latter route is probably the best way to go - route the physical ports
that the Mackie is connected to so as to send their data to monitor objects
- this should leave SurfaceReader's virtual ports as the only ports handling
surface traffic to/from Logic.

I'd be really interested to know how you get on with this.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess