[vicsireland] Re: dictionaries.

  • From: "Cearbhall O'Meadhra" <omeadhrac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 22:08:47 +0100

Damien,

It has taken me all day to realise that what you are looking for is simply a
way to enter your words in a file and have them in alphabetic order when you
want to retrieve them.

The best way to do this is in Excel as Michael has already suggested.

However, you can do it in Word if you set up the document as a table. In
other words you are using the logic of Excel in the context of word.

Jaws will help to manage a table very well in Word. In that case you could
make a point of adding your new word to the last empty row of the table and
then doing a sort of the entire table in alphabetic order on the first
column. That way your new entry will be moved into place by the sort
routine.

If the Irish word you are entering is associated with and explanation and an
equivalent in English, you could accommodate this in a three-column table.
The rows would stay intact and so you could sort on the Irish column when
you are looking for an Irish word or sort on the English column when you
want to see English choices. In all cases the explanation and related
translation would stay together on the same row.

All the best,

Cearbhall

T: +353 (0)1 6364364 m: 08333 23487 E: omeadhrac@xxxxxxx