(VICT) Re: question

  • From: "Ridge Euler" <Ridge_E@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 04:04:06 -0600

reliable.  I don't go places like Shelly does with the chances of fleas.  the
places I go are to the Mayo clinic, work, and to the Crown where I go to have
my lunch.  those places we don't see many dogs just maybe at the clinic but we
don't usually get close enough as we are usually cruising to the next
appointment.  the only place where he might have a chance of getting fleas is
day care but they monitor that closely as they don't want to shut down to
fumigate.  but as far as using a cane I don't anymore.  Clyde is a fast learner
thank goodness.  and now when the snow is down and I can see the grass it is
easier for me to use the side walks.  I have some spots on the sides of my eyes
where there aren't blind spots so if I look forward and there is a drastic
enough change in the brown or green of the grass and the side walk then I can
stay on track but when there is a change like curb cuts that's when I have
trouble.  or if it has snowed and it is all the same. if I look out of the
corners of my eyes hard enough I can see some shapes but it is very hard so I
worked really hard with Clyde the first six months on guide work, directions
and elevation changes and I used my cane then I started to gradualy stop using
it the next six months when we both knew what routes we were taking to what
place.  I think the time I stopped using it was at the crown when we just had
to go down the side walk a little then across the street.  he had curb cuts
down and there weren't any bad spots in the side walks ( it is by St. Mary's
hospital part of the Mayo clinic)  they keep everything immaculate even in the
winter all the sidewalks are cleared when it snows even as it is snowing.  but
anyway when we get to the Crown I need both hands to open the door and drive my
chair and hold the dog (leash or harness handle) and I couldn't hold the cane.
and in weather with -30 you want to get in fast!!  so now we don't use the
cane.  when I got my new case for my laptop there is no room for it in or on my
chair.  I have to say if you are disabled Rochester, MN is the place to live.
especially if you are in a chair.  all the busses are accessible and where I
live and where I get off the bus are kept clear of snow by either the residence
or the city where the stops are.  so with proper clothing we can still take the
bus in the winter to place and get out.  this winter I have two custom made
coats for Clyde one is a fleece coat with a flap for the handle and the other
is an outer coat that is not insulated so it can be used in the summer months
as a rain jacket.  it to has a flap where the handle goes also.  it is awesome
and we have muttluks for boots.  the ones with fleece lining.  he is dressed
better then me hahahahahaha.  well enough babbling.  I don't carry a cane
anymore but probably should.  theres my final answer.
  Ridge and Clyde Guide/SD