(VICT) Re: Squirrels

  • From: "Tamara Smith-Kinney" <tamara.8024@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:34:47 -0800

Karyn,

I love your description.  A young do and his first squirrel.  A friend =
was
telling me last week that squirrels were bouncing around just out of =
leash
length of her dogs and driving them crazy.  I guess they were also =
throwing
nuts at the dogs to aggravate them more.

Because of squirrels, my right arm is now 7 inches longer than my left.
Also, I once had the leash around my waist so I had my hands free, and I =
was
actually in fear for my spine!  Good grief!  The only time Mitsy has =
chased
a squirrel in harness was in front of a friend's house -- while the =
friend
was on the porch enjoying the evening, of course.  I had to grab a tree =
keep from being dragged through the bushes and into the street.

I have no idea if there's a formal technique for untraining the chase
response, but I just prevented her from continuing her chases and waited =
for
her to settle on her own.  And gritted my teeth and hoped my arm =
actually
stayed with the rest of me!  Then we went on.  You're right.  Competing =
with
a squirrel is a losing proposition.  /smile/  I think I would talk to =
her
while she bounced and reared at the end of the leash like a rodeo horse,
patiently, but in a less than cheery voice.  I usually ended up sounding =
little world weary about it all, since she can remain fixed on a course =
of
action for a shockingly long time.

The technique of inhibiting a behavior by simply preventing the animal =
from
performing it is something I read about long ago in a horse-training =
book.
Maybe someone else has heard of it and knows what it's called?  The =
contact
was for starting to work with young foals.  Once you had gotten the foal =
and
its mother used to your touching it and running your hands over its =
body,
you would gently put an arm over its back and the other around its chest =
restrain it very briefly from moving forward before releasing it.  The =
idea
being that it would early on develop the idea that you can control its
behavior and that there is no harm in this.

I've adapted this idea in a couple of ways with Mitsy.  The hold =
wouldn't
work for you, but simply preventing Thane from chasing without any other
reaction might help him learn to be less dedicated to the pursuit.  I'm =
not
sure how you could protect your arm; the leash I used to keep fastened
around my waist was problematic enough with cane and me when she was =
young
and rowdy and liked to run in circles around me.  A chair would make it
unworkable, I think.  Hmm...

Then, when he starts learning to recall himself, so to speak, you can =
start
praising for that and move on, talking in a cheery voice (or whatever =
you
do).  Etc.  This seemed to work better with Mitsy than simply dragging =
her,
which I also tried a time or two.  I think letting her reach the =
decision to
give it up and to give me back some attention also helped her learn to =
do
the same with less distractions as we increased our guiding practice.  =
In
fact, she would be so excited when she remembered to pull her nose out =
of a
favorite sniff spot that she would do her little grin and dance.  And I
could praise and/or click, of course.

HTH.

Tami Smith-Kinney