(VICT) Re: Squirrels

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:47:50 EST

I work this in a safe place for me. I use the squirrel itself as the reward
for a behavior. Usually I use something as simple as a watch and then release
the dog to go chase the squirrel. Alex is squirrel obsessed when at home in
the  yard. Understatement. In that way that shepherds can be..grin. Later I
will ask  for a down or whatever before releasing the dog.. Once you have that
control of,  gee, I have to do something for mom before I can chase the
squirrel, attitude,  You  become the person who controls access to squirrels.
Just
like we  control access to strange dogs, food, cars , etc. without a yard this
could be  done in a park on a longline just as easily. Just make sure the line
is long  enough to reach to the tree the squirrel is in.. ask me how I learned
that..  grin..
I have also used Karyn's method of speeding off, with some success but
combined with the other it worked lots better.. Also a solid leave it cue
helps..
so many building blocks, so little time.. grin.

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-