(VICT) Re: Squirrels

  • From: "Tamara Smith-Kinney" <tamara.8024@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:55:22 -0800

Sandy,

The only time I've tried that approach was when Mitsy yanked the leash =
out
of my hand because I wasn't paying attention.  Or because we were around =
the
courtyard and the squirrels were in the tree, ready to tease her, =
instead of
running streetward.  /smile/  We haven't had a safe place to apply that
approach to squirrels and kitties, but I can see some good applications =
of
the principle in other areas requiring self-discipline on her part.

Right now, her prey is the garbage bag down the street by our potty spot =
and
its yummy treasures.  I think it finally got picked up, but we've been
having an entertaining little arms race as she figures out new ways to =
lull
me into relaxing my hold on the leash and I try to keep up with the task =
of
not letting myself be lulled into believing she's just hanging out being
good.  Recall?  Who needs it?  Sorry, Mom, can't hear you...

Goober!

It's a fun game now, because I don't want her eating the garbage and end =
up
grabbing a cane and going to get her, which gives her a chance to =
suddenly
remember me and come to greet me looking innocent.  I'm going to have to
start tying the leash around my wrist, since I can't seem to remember to
keep hold of it.  /smile/  Who's the real goober?

Tami Smith-Kinney