(VICT) Harness Length Question

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:59:13 -0800

I know many of you may not know all the ins and outs on choosing harness
length with a wheelchair but you may be able to answer at least one aspect
of this for me so decided I would give this a stab so to speak.
It is looking like Thane will be about 2 inches shorter than Met was at full
growth. Its possible he will grow a bit more but not 2 inches! He is 27
inches long (3 inches longer than Met) Honestly I am feeling like some of
our leash walking issues may be directly related to this as if he walks
further back, he is in risk of being run over by the drive wheel if I spasm
a bit or don't drive real straight for one reason or another.
Anyway my question is this. If you were getting a new guide and you knew it
was going to be 2 inches shorter than your previous guide, would the harness
handle automatically be made 2 inches longer or would it hav e any bearing
on how the dog worked as well.
I am just asking for input at this stage as I am going to be buying
materials for harness making. I am just not really happy with how the 5
point harness has a ring right in the middle of the girth strap so have
decided to give it a go and attempt to design him a harness. I know my first
couple attempts for Met were not great so want to be sure I can work out any
kinks before he is really working as a guide Smile

Karyn and Thane