(VICT) Squirrels

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:02:01 -0800

Oh my! Thane found squirrels on our walk today! Honestly I don't remember
seeing squirrels since my move here in 2002. My complex does not have them
as we have the wrong kind of trees but on our walk Thane found some.
Squirrels make cats look like a minor distraction. I remember how hard I had
to work with Met over squirrels when he started taking me to school at 14
months of age. Met was used to them though- he chased them from tree to tree
in the yard and watched them a lot when he was not chasing them. Squirrels
seem to be a common High Reward (to the dog) distraction.
Thane was not gonna leave his squirrels today. I finally had to tie the
leash up really short to keep him safe and take off across the street which
made him have to come. That ios not how I wanted to deal with it, but there
was no way to unglue his eyes. I don't know if he had them where he lived or
not- I have to check into it but it is possible this was a first encounter.
If that is the case it definitely explains things as first encounters tend
to be impossible LOL
So I was wondering if anyone with squirrel success can share how you trained
your dog to carry on. Please keep in mind I can not use a clicker or even
treats on the go like that. It was not in a place where it would have been
safe to deal with treats even if I had the free hand to do so. I need to
accomplish this verbally just as I did with Met- but Met was not so pinned
to the squirrels. Goodness Me! I never would have known they were there if
it wa snot for his strong attraction to them...
He is becoming a great hearing dog at the moment, but my arm would love for
him to ease up on it a bit!

Karyn and Thane