[vi-android] Re: low vision between both worlds

  • From: Quentin <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:25:44 +1100

For myself I can read large print fairly comfortably so yes I seek out apps with high contrast and large print and also use the magnifier from time to time. I have spent a lot of time looking for "large print" apps and in some cases (eg the play store), I haven't yet found an ideal replacement (in the case of the play store I can live with it as is, though would definitely like to see it improved). How to access things and when or how to move from large print to speech is a very personal thing. It varies depending on your sight, your vision condition, how and if your sight is changing and not least of which, how accepting you are off all those things and how open to trying new strategies you are.

Please note that I'm not making any comment on you or anyone else here btw, this is just general observations from my work with others with low vision. I've met people with very low vision, struggling to use a magnifier on a pc at 12x magnification and taking exponentially longer than if they'd used speech because they couldn't acknowledge that what had always worked for them no longer did. I've also met people who have just been diagnosed with AMD, who can still drive but who want to learn to use speech so they'll be able to cope (if and) when their sight drops.

I think having the group here, with the blogs, personal insights and other information that people post is great because with as much information about the options as possible it does enable people to make a more informed choice.

Sometimes however, there is no substitute for sitting down with a professional to have them observe how you access something, give an unbiased assessment and offer suggestions in person. For anyone interested, most of the major blindness agencies should be able to help. My experience is with Vision Australia in, Australia but places like the RNIB in the UK and the AFB in the USA should all be able to offer similar assistance.

Regards

Quentin

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On 27 January 2014 4:16:13 AM Aaron <blindgeek1989@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Quentin, you use your how with what vision you have. How do you do it? Do you have the font size turned up?
Thanks,
Aaron Linson
Podcaster Studios
Being Confident in your ability, not your disability