[vi-android] Re: (VI-Android) How Do I Set Up a Phone Running Android 4.2 Please?

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 20:06:05 +1100

Hi Ayoola,

With using explore by touch, when you find an item on screen you want to activate, try letting the voice announce it and THEN tapping twice quickly - tapping twice quickly can be done anywhere on the screen but it does need to be done quite quickly (say less than half a second - I haven't specifically timed it). It is one of those things that can sound easy to say but trickier to get the hang of actually doing. If you go into the Talkback settings, there should be an option buried in the list called "Launch explore by touch tutorial" which is quite a good introduction to the gestures.

Regards

Quentin.

On 28/11/2013 9:29 AM, Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya wrote:
Hello Quentin and every other lister,

Yes Quentin, I have made some progress with the phone I talked about two days ago. My siblings and I were able to eventually connect the phone to our wifi.

Talkback wasn't actually available in the accessibility settings so I had to download it from the play store.

The challenge now is that the gestures don't evoke the desired response. When I put a finger on any area of the screen, talkback indicates the particular app or option under the finger, but doing a second tap immediately (or even a third or fourth) doesn't always activate the app/option under my finger.

I'm not sure but I'm suspecting that the challenge might be due to a feature in the accessibility settings which I think has to do with pattern for delayed response. I think the options included short, long and mid. I and even my sighted siblings are finding it difficult to tap our way to reach that setting and adjust it.

Please let me know what you think could be wrong.

Thank you.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Ayoola,

    Talkback should be in the accessibility settings - As with the
    general settings - there might be a few settings and Talkback may
    not be near the top!

    When you go into Talkback, the screen has an on/off button (like
    for WiFi or Bluetooth), an overview of what Talkback does, and
    then a "Settings" button.  The on/off button is where you turn it
    on and off (I'm sure you figured that bit out yourself), and in
    the settings is where you can enable Explore by touch etc.

    On some phones (running 4.1 in my experience) they may not come
    with a recent version of Talkback with Explore by touch, so yes
    downloading / updating it from the play store is definitely a good
    idea!  Explore by touch is part of recent versions of Talkback (on
    4.1 or later devices) rather than a standalone app in itself.

    Re your WiFi - do you have any security settings which might
    prevent the phone accessing it - only allowing certain devices for
    instance, or have you put the right password into the phone?  You
    should certainly be able to access WiFi without a SIM card.

    Re the text to speech - yes text to speech can be used by other
    programs as well as Talkback (which is why the setting isn't under
    accessibility) - for instance I have a running app which announces
    every kilometer I run using the same voice, and there are other
    apps which can use it also.  Talkback actually only tells the
    phone to read out everything on screen - it's the text to speech
    engine which does the work of converting that text to speech.

    Regards

    Quentin.

    On 26/11/2013 4:30 PM, Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya wrote:

        Hey Quentin,

        I forgot to ask. Will I need to search for the
        Explore-by-touch app in
        the playstore? Or does it come on when talkback is enabled?
        There's no
        such item in the phone's accessibility at the moment.

        Thank you.

        On 11/26/13, Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya <ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Hello Quentin,

            Thanks. I finally found the settings of the phone and as
            you rightly
            pointed out accessibility is way down the list; in fact
            it's the
            second to the last item in this list.

            The user of the phone will rely solely on talkback and so
            won't need
            the large-print option enabled. Although I'm yet to locate
            talkback on
            the phone, I found Pico to be the only available speech
            engine in the
            'use as default speech engine' section of the 'language
            and input
            settings'. Pico gives a spoken feedback when you click to
            hear an
            example of the speech. How can that be possible without
            talkback?

            As an alternative, I tried to download/update talkback (in
            case it's
            already installed), but the phone won't connect to the
            internet via my
            wifi here in the house. It keeps bringing up a
            notification that
            authentication failed. THere's no SIM card on the phone yet.

            Thank you.

            On 11/25/13, Quentin <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                You can get to settings either via a home screen icon
                or very top right
                when you pull down the notification shade.

                Accessibility varies it's position in the list but
                often it's down a fair
                way, I've only ever seen it called "accessibility" though.

                If setting large text option you need to check the
                check box here but
                also
                set font size to huge in display options.

                If you turn talk back on it's default settings are
                good and it should
                offer

                it's tutorial when you first turn it on, otherwise
                that is in the
                settings
                button in the talk back screen.

                Some phones have extra accessibility options dotted
                around.

                Regards

                Quentin

                Sent with AquaMail for Android
                http://www.aqua-mail.com

                On 26 November 2013 7:51:49 AM Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya
                <ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx>>
                wrote:

                    Hello everyone,

                    A friend who is visually impaired just brought his
                    phone running Android
                    4.2 to me to help set up with all relevant
                    accessibility features
                    enabled.

                    I am however lost because the settings items in
                    Android 4.2 is
                    completely
                    different from those in 2.3.

                    Please what do I need to llook out for to help him
                    out?

                    Thank you.

                    Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya

                    Communications Professional, Broadcast journalist
                    and Accessible
                    Technology
                    Enthusiast/Trainer

                    M.A candidate
                    Department of Communication and Language Arts
                    University of Ibadan
                    Ibadan, Nigeria

                    MOBILE: +234-8029449441 <tel:%2B234-8029449441>

                    e-Mail: ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx
                    <mailto:ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx>

                    SKYPE: ayoola.stephen.efunkoya

                    Check out my profile and connect with me:

                    On Linkedin: http://ng.linkedin.com/in/ayokoya

                    On Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/ayokoya

                    On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ayokoya

            Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya

            Communications Professional, Broadcast journalist and
            Accessible Technology
            Enthusiast/Trainer

            M.A candidate
            Department of Communication and Language Arts
            University of Ibadan
            Ibadan, Nigeria

            MOBILE: +234-802-944-9441 <tel:%2B234-802-944-9441>;
            +234-809-964-9514 <tel:%2B234-809-964-9514>

            e-Mail: ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx>

            SKYPE: ayoola.stephen.efunkoya

            Check out my profile and connect with me:

              Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on LinkedIn
            <http://ng.linkedin.com/in/ayokoya>

            AyoKoya on Twitter <http://twitter.com/ayokoya>

            Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on Facebook
            <http://facebook.com/ayokoya>

    To post to the list, simply send email to vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

    To unsubscribe from the list send an email to
    vi-android-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    the Subject field (new users, use 'subscribe' to subscribe)

    vi-android-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:vi-android-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with 'set vi-android
    digest' in the subject (to go back to receiving every message use
    'unset vi-android digest' in the subject).

Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya

Communications Professional, Broadcast journalist and Accessible Technology Enthusiast/Trainer

M.A candidate
Department of Communication and Language Arts
University of Ibadan
Ibadan, Nigeria

MOBILE: +234-802-944-9441; +234-809-964-9514

Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on LinkedIn <http://ng.linkedin.com/in/ayokoya>

AyoKoya on Twitter <http://twitter.com/ayokoya>

Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on Facebook <http://facebook.com/ayokoya>

---