[vi-android] Re: (VI-Android) How Do I Set Up a Phone Running Android 4.2 Please?

  • From: Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya <ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 06:26:50 +0100

Hello Quentin,

Thanks. I finally found the settings of the phone and as you rightly
pointed out accessibility is way down the list; in fact it's the
second to the last item in this list.

The user of the phone will rely solely on talkback and so won't need
the large-print option enabled. Although I'm yet to locate talkback on
the phone, I found Pico to be the only available speech engine in the
'use as default speech engine' section of the 'language and input
settings'. Pico gives a spoken feedback when you click to hear an
example of the speech. How can that be possible without talkback?

As an alternative, I tried to download/update talkback (in case it's
already installed), but the phone won't connect to the internet via my
wifi here in the house. It keeps bringing up a notification that
authentication failed. THere's no SIM card on the phone yet.

Thank you.

On 11/25/13, Quentin <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You can get to settings either via a home screen icon or very top right
> when you pull down the notification shade.
>
> Accessibility varies it's position in the list but often it's down a fair
> way, I've only ever seen it called "accessibility" though.
>
> If setting large text option you need to check the check box here but also
> set font size to huge in display options.
>
> If you turn talk back on it's default settings are good and it should offer
>
> it's tutorial when you first turn it on, otherwise that is in the settings
> button in the talk back screen.
>
> Some phones have extra accessibility options dotted around.
>
> Regards
>
> Quentin
>
> Sent with AquaMail for Android
> http://www.aqua-mail.com
>

> On 26 November 2013 7:51:49 AM Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya
> <ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> A friend who is visually impaired just brought his phone running Android
>> 4.2 to me to help set up with all relevant accessibility features
>> enabled.
>>
>> I am however lost because the settings items in Android 4.2 is completely
>> different from those in 2.3.
>>
>> Please what do I need to llook out for to help him out?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya
>>
>> Communications Professional, Broadcast journalist and Accessible
>> Technology
>> Enthusiast/Trainer
>>
>> M.A candidate
>> Department of Communication and Language Arts
>> University of Ibadan
>> Ibadan, Nigeria
>>
>> MOBILE: +234-8029449441
>>
>> e-Mail: ayokoya2009@xxxxxxxxx
>>
>> SKYPE: ayoola.stephen.efunkoya
>>
>> Check out my profile and connect with me:
>>
>> On Linkedin: http://ng.linkedin.com/in/ayokoya
>>
>> On Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/ayokoya
>>
>> On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ayokoya

Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya

Communications Professional, Broadcast journalist and Accessible Technology
Enthusiast/Trainer

M.A candidate
Department of Communication and Language Arts
University of Ibadan
Ibadan, Nigeria

MOBILE: +234-802-944-9441; +234-809-964-9514

 Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on LinkedIn <http://ng.linkedin.com/in/ayokoya>

AyoKoya on Twitter <http://twitter.com/ayokoya>

Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya on Facebook <http://facebook.com/ayokoya>