[UHNA] Re: Graffitti in University Heights & RE: University Heights group

--- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET Message ---------------

Reporting that there is gang activity in the neighborhod when there is no 
apparent basis for the report.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Buddy" <kemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 12:32 AM
Subject: [UHNA] Re: Graffitti in University Heights & RE: University Heights 
group


> --- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET 
> Message ---------------
>
> Aileen,
>
> The police will  respond to a call in a timely manner if they feel there 
> is
> a real threat but
>> certainly won't if they get repeated calls from people that feel
> threatened
>> for no reason.
>
> What is your point, FEEL THREATENED FOR NO REASON???
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Aileen2" <aileen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 9:32 PM
> Subject: [UHNA] Re: Graffitti in University Heights & RE: University 
> Heights
> group
>
>
>> --- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET
> Message ---------------
>>
>> Buddy,
>> I think you confused the intent of my message, the current tagging in our
>> neighborhood is vandalism, no matter who is responsible.  The intent of 
>> my
>> message was to state that it is unlikely that it is being done by gang
>> members or artists.  I appreciate that you don't want the 
>> graffiti/artwork
>> on your property and so do the people who actually get approval before
> doing
>> it.  There is NOT any artwork is this neighborhood and, I am quite sure,
>> nothing would be painted without being approved by property owners.
>> This is vandalism here, but also sure it's not gang related.  My message
> was
>> to try and assuage the fears of the neighborhood that it is gang related.
>> Please keep calling the police if you see any minor painting but realize
>> that the police will continue to disregard making an effort to get to 
>> this
>> area if you continue to do so.  They appear to think any call in this 
>> area
>> is over reaction.  Last night is a pretty good example that we deserve
> this
>> type activity of a toga party because we live in this area.  The police
> will
>> respond to a call in a timely manner if they feel there is a real threat
> but
>> certainly won't if they get repeated calls from people that feel
> threatened
>> for no reason.
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "Buddy" <kemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 9:17 PM
>> Subject: [UHNA] Re: Graffitti in University Heights & RE: University
> Heights
>> group
>>
>>
>> > --- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET
>> > Message ---------------
>> >
>> > Aileen2,
>> >
>> > I have lived in this neighborhood a long time and I don't care to see
> the
>> > graffitti, no matter how artistic it may be to some people.  Yes, there
>> > may
>> > be a place for it on a designated wall in a neighborhood and that is
> fine
>> > if
>> > that is what you want.  I resent having to see residents property in 
>> > the
>> > neighborhood "tagged" and marked in such fashion.  This so called
>> > "expression" is not welcome. All it does is bring down the character of
>> > where we live and if it is not removed in a timely fashion only brings
> on
>> > more markings.  People from outside the neighborhood that see this 
>> > might
>> > think twice about moving here.
>> >
>> > I think my concerns are validated with city council.  I also think 
>> > there
>> > is
>> > nothing wrong with having a good time at a party, but not at someone
>> > else's
>> > expense in the wee hours of the morning.  It is not acceptable wherever
>> > you
>> > live. Thank you.
>> > ----- Original Message ----- 
>> > From: "Aileen2" <aileen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> > To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> > Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:29 PM
>> > Subject: [UHNA] Re: Graffitti in University Heights & RE: University
>> > Heights
>> > group
>> >
>> >
>> >> --- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET
>> > Message ---------------
>> >>
>> >> I've been trying to keep quiet about the reactions to what is going on
>> > here
>> >> lately but it is against my nature.  Regarding the party last night,
> the
>> >> music certainly wasn't rap (I sort of resent the inference that it
> was),
>> > it
>> >> was loud and annoying but more certainly a toga party, the music I
> heard
>> > was
>> >> straight from the John Belushi movie  "a little bit  louder now"  but
>> > never
>> >> got to the "a little bit softer now"  I couldn't determine where it 
>> >> was
>> >> coming from so didn't call the police but it was just coincidence that
> I
>> > was
>> >> up at 1:30 and in my front room where I could hear it (on Foulke)  I
>> >> could
>> >> go to the back room and go to sleep with no problem.  Still unsure
> where
>> > the
>> >> party was.
>> >> I'm surprised that someone else knows the location of this party and
> that
>> > it
>> >> is an annual event (I've lived here for 7 years and never heard the
> party
>> >> before, perhaps because I don't hear outside noises from my bedroom).
>> > This
>> >> sounds like a good discussion for a group meeting to prevent it from
>> >> happening next year, it was REALLY loud (sounded like it was on our
>> >> street
>> >> and concerned about a new neighbor)
>> >> This is said because I called about a car parked in my driveway for 
>> >> 3-4
>> > days
>> >> prior to me calling the police on 5/5 and had to argue with the cop 
>> >> for
>> >> 15
>> >> minutes as to why he didn't have time to write a ticket and order a 
>> >> tow
>> >> because it was Cinco de Stratford and he didn't have time. He never 
>> >> did
>> >> do
>> >> anything but argue with me about how I was a bad neighbor to this car
>> > owner
>> >> with out of state plates.  I also suggested that if the call had
>> > originated
>> >> from the gaslight the car would have been ticketed and towed without
>> > having
>> >> to contact me.
>> >> My gaslight neighbor filed a complaint about a car parked on her 
>> >> street
>> >> Friday and will follow up with her Monday.  I will update as to 
>> >> whether
>> > she
>> >> had to argue with the Officer that shows up or if she even has to talk
> to
>> >> the Officer.
>> >> I have heard from other neighbors that they are getting the same type
>> >> attitude from local police.  We complain for no reason and should
> realize
>> >> that we live in an area that should tolerate certain behaviors.  Maybe
> we
>> >> need to make the media rather than the police aware of this party if
> the
>> >> majority think it's a burden on the neighborhood.  The media is what
> made
>> > UC
>> >> finally take responsibility for Cinco de Stratford, UC didn't take
>> >> responsibility to prevent it, nor did the police until the media was
>> >> involved.
>> >> Regarding the "graffitti", I think it's highly unlikely that there are
>> >> any
>> >> gang members in the area.  It's far more likely that some teenagers or
>> >> pre-teens have a can of spray paint and too much unsupervised time on
>> > their
>> >> hands.  The "tags" aren't gang signs, they are kids that are trying to
>> >> emulate the graffitti artists that sign/tag their art but have no
>> >> artistic
>> >> capability.  The graffitti artists do some great art (you can see some
>> >> examples by George Fern or at the bottom of ravine, all approved by 
>> >> the
>> >> property owners) then they "tag" (sign) their work.
>> >> The gang members work in an entirely different mode but I don't think
>> >> this
>> >> neighborhood is getting tagged by gang members.  The stuff that we are
>> >> seeing is just "wannabe" artists, not gang members, as far as I can
> see.
>> >>
>> >> If someone has different information, I think it would be good to 
>> >> bring
>> > that
>> >> up but I doubt that this area has gangs tagging.  I believe it would 
>> >> be
>> >> better to focus on actual threats because suggesting we have gang
> members
>> > in
>> >> the neighborhood gives less credibility than we already have in this
>> >> neighborhood.  We all need to focus what are actual threats rather 
>> >> than
>> >> calling the police and city council on unrealistic threats.
>> >>
>> >> I appreciate Therese starting this group and will try in the future to
>> > make
>> >> it to more meetings but, frankly, I didn't think my street was as much
>> >> concern as Riddle.  Therese lives on Riddle so, of course, that has
> been
>> > her
>> >> focus.  IThen again, why shouldn't it be?
>> >> Aileen
>> >> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> >> From: "esrv.net" <ecereb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> >> To: "Group:, UHNA" <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> >> Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 5:38 PM
>> >> Subject: [UHNA] Re: Graffitti in University Heights & RE: University
>> > Heights
>> >> group
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> > --- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET
>> >> > Message ---------------
>> >> >
>> >> > At about 2:10 am, I and my wife were also awoken by some rappers
>> >> > yelling
>> >> > as
>> >> > loud as they could over the wall shaking boom, boom, booming.   This
>> > went
>> >> > on
>> >> > until about 2:45.  During this time, my wife and I could not sleep,
> so
>> > we
>> >> > had a conversation.  It was more like a question and answer session
>> >> > with
>> >> > her
>> >> > posing the questions.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > As most of you know, my wife is newly arrived from China, about a
> year
>> >> > ago.
>> >> > Anyway, one of her questions was, "How come the police don't stop
>> >> > this?"
>> >> > I
>> >> > guess, in China one does not mess with the police.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Anyway.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > I would also like to respond to Casey's email.  Yes, I have been lax
> in
>> > so
>> >> > far as the meetings are concerned.   This is partly because my 
>> >> > father
>> >> > would
>> >> > drag me to neighborhood meetings when I was a kid and saw nothing
> being
>> >> > accomplished.  Also, when I lived in Dayton in two of the historic
>> >> > districts, St Anne's and Sough Park, I did attend a lot of meetings
>> > where
>> >> > I
>> >> > saw excruciating slow progress on issues.   But, I did like These
>> >> > meetings.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > The reason the historic neighborhood meetings were interesting was:
> not
>> >> > only
>> >> > did they talk about "The issues", but they also addressed old house
>> >> > restoration and historic preservation.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > My final point is if we don't go, meet, and team up as a
> neighborhood,
>> >> > then
>> >> > the city corporation will decide for us.  As you know, the agenda of
>> > city
>> >> > government is all too clear.  All one has to do is look at the
> results
>> > of
>> >> > the last 30 years, the trends, and the outcomes.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > You-know, I really love my home.  We love the neighborhood and we
> love
>> > you
>> >> > the neighbors.  I wish we could stay here until I retire and even
> then
>> >> > afterwards.  Our house is world class and is paid for.  The idea of
>> >> > pulling
>> >> > up roots and getting a nondescript, paper and balsawood, plastic
>> > covered,
>> >> > cracker box, burb ranch for $250,000 is.well.gut wrenching.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Thank you for your time.and we will be at the next meeting.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Steve & Pei Lin Staubach
>> >> >
>> >> > www.steves.us <http://www.steves.us/>
>> >> >
>> >> >  _____
>> >> >
>> >> > From: Scullin, Casey [mailto:CScullin@xxxxxxxxx]
>> >> > Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:21 PM
>> >> > To: <you know who you are>
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Over the past few months the attendance at the monthly University
>> > Heights
>> >> > Neighborhood Association has dropped.  With everyone leading busy
>> >> > lives,
>> >> > it's understandable that this can happen.  But it could also be that
>> >> > the
>> >> > topics and issues being addressed at the meetings are not of 
>> >> > interest
>> > nor
>> >> > meeting the needs of the group or neighborhood.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > With that said, would you please email Kathy Kessler at
>> >> > Kathy.kessler@xxxxxxxxxx and provide her with feedback as to what 
>> >> > you
>> >> > believe are the issues and topics the UHNA group should be
> addressing.
>> >> > Most
>> >> > often, neighborhood groups focus on quality of life issues such as
>> > litter
>> >> > and safety, but are there some annual events (picnic, yard sale) the
>> > group
>> >> > could also work on?
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Please drop Kathy an email.  Thanks for your input.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > --- 
>> >> >
> End --------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --- 
>> > End --------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> >
>> > --- 
>> > End --------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>
>>
>> --- 
> End --------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> ---  
> End -------------------------------------------------------------------- 


--- End --------------------------------------------------------------------

Other related posts: