[UHNA] Re: Graffitti in University Heights & RE: University Heights group

  • From: Tlidinop@xxxxxxx
  • To: uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:00:04 EDT

--- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET Message ---------------

Just to add my two-pennies-worth comments regarding graffiti...I have no clue
how to identify art versus gang graffiti.  I just know, from the police
training for neighborhood I went to, that the police could not emphasize enough
how
important it is to call them when we discover graffiti in a neighborhood. The
police's position is that graffiti is the beginning of gang activities and if
not acted upon immediately can ruin a neighborhood.  The police emphasized
again and again that whenever we see graffiti anywhere they (the police) should
be immediately notified.  I think they have a special unit that deals with
that and they supposedly come immediately to take it off.
The graffiti in our case maybe just children's play but I believe the police
should be notified and I do not think our reputation will be tainted because
of that.
Anyhow, these are my little thoughts in the matter.
Lea.