[uae] Re: Direct or indirect - that is the question (was Re: MacOSX Intel supports JIT?)

  • From: Daniel Pimley <uae@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:04:06 +0000

On 23 Mar 2007, at 03:54, Richard Drummond wrote:

You really want to set these to '1' or 'indirect'. Setting them to '2' or, if you are emulating a P96 gfx card, '3' may work also, but you are running the risk that a misbehaving 68k program will cause E-UAE simply to die and you to
lose data.

This is why the 'comp_trust*=' options can be set to '2', meaning 'indirect for Kickstart', or '3', meaning 'direct after Picasso'. The former means that accesses done by Kickstart will always be indirect; the latter means 'memory access will be indirect until the first Picasso screen is opened', i.e.,
until after P96 has done it's memory probe thing.

I'm a little confused now. Exactly how many comp_trust options are there?

I support 3 states in Hi-Toro: indirect, direct, after Picasso, written as "direct", "indirect" and "afterPic" in the configuration file. Firstly am I correct in writing these out as strings? I've tested without errors from E-UAE but of course my JIT is permanently disabled on my PowerPC Mac so I can't be sure I am doing it right. Secondly it seems from your email that there may be a fourth "kickstart" mode in addition to the three modes I currently support. Is this correct, and if so how do I set comp_trust to "kickstart" mode?

Regards,
Daniel Pimley