[uae] Re: Direct or indirect - that is the question (was Re: MacOSX Intel supports JIT?)

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:35:44 -0400

Hi Daniel

On Saturday 24 March 2007 18:09, Daniel Pimley wrote:
> This option is new to me.
>
> Can you explain more about it? Assuming the scope is wider than the
> other options and it's set to direct by default.

Narrower.

The comp_trustbyte/word/long options control how the JIT does byte/word/long
reads and writes to Amiga memory. The comp_trustnaddr= option controls a
specific routine in the JIT for converting addresses in the Amiga memory
space to native memory space. This is used when translating 68k MOVEM and
68040 MOVE16 instructions.

> I don't think I'll
> bother adding support for it in Hi-Toro since it means work for me
> and it only gives users the opportunity to add instability to their JIT.

Indeed. I mentioned some time ago I think these comp_trust#? options should be
replaced with something simpler. They just confuse people. And as I said,
they don't - at least, shouldn't - apply in OS X/Intel because direct memory
access in the JIT isn't supported there yet. I still need to figure out
what's happening in Anders's case, though.

Richard Drummond

Web:  http://www.rcdrummond.net/
Mail: mailto:evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx