[triadtechtalk] Re: Windows Update Errors

  • From: tomas santos <babaluscan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 04:04:48 -0700 (PDT)

Skyhawk,

Yahooey is giving me fits over here while I try to
reply to you. It seems their servers have been
compromised by whatever and one can't complain for the
price, despite the hassles. I mean, free is free - to
whom can you complain when it's free. It's not the
first time it tells me that I am not me and to make
sur I am myself - what a dumb machine!

Now, unless you erred in your estimation, there is no
210 MB stick available. They are all multiples of 64
nowadays. From what you state it's been added since
shortly after you acquired the PC. Maybe you meant 256
and 256 that came installed with the PC add up to 512?

SFC is short for "System File Check" and you say
you've done that. As to repairing IE, you actually
need to tell the PC you're going to uninstall IE - it
is then that it gives you the option to repair IE, and
after doing its thing, it tells you to reboot. Did it
go like that? If not, then you weren't able to repair
it either.

The instructions I enclosed as part of the
"unreachable web page" to trubleshoot Windows update
(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/)
tell you how to run the System File Check and how to
repair IE.

If you followed those instructions you're going by how
Microsoft says to do it, for I've copied/pasted that
entire page and emailed it in the previous post, as
you can see.

One thing in your reply did hit me like a ton of
bricks and made the bells and whistles go off!
Norton System Works!! When did you install that!!??

Do me a favor and disable Norton and only then try to
download & to reach the unreachable web page. I'm not
going to bash Peter & his utilities here, but I've had
nothing but trouble with Norton's stuff.

Others around me swear by them and can not live
without Norton, so..., to each his own.

As for my experiences, in Windows 2000 and getting the
updates I ran into unexplainable errors when trying to
connect to the WWW. Reformatting and reloading only
brought more frustration, for the same thing would
happen, several times.

Then once I disabled my anti virus program(Grisoft -
free) and my firewall, and my script interceptor and
StartUp monitor, it was then that the installs of the
updates and security patches went well and without a
hitch.

I see Norton's Syst. Works includes a Script blocker,
and a slew of other utilities - that baby sure wraps
around that system tight!!

Try that first..., disable that antivirus, and
whatever else you can about Norton System Works. If
need be, uninstall it, though I 've seen others
experience trouble in getting rid of it and have had
to visit Norton's website for special instructions.
See what its help file says and try disabling it
entirely!! You can crank it up after we get over this
hump.

And you said this all started when you decided to
change your modem due to constant disconnections
because you thought the modem was at fault?

As to the network administrator and contacting that
guy, well..., in this case *YOU* are it. Unless
someone else there can try doing what you're trying to
accomplish then you are it!(ha-ha)

Did you ever see as cantankerous a machine as that
there HP? You know what? In spanish HP stands for S*B
.
You don't get too many HPs being sold in the spanish
market.

That's just like the chevy "Nova" - in Spanish it
means "won't go", it was a catastrophic market for
them in South America. After all who would want to buy
a car whose name was "won't go" right off the bat? ;-)

Let me know how it all goes, Lewis.
My prayers are with you.
tomas.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B1AD2C0A-8CC6-443B-