[tn-moths] Re: I.D. request

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:02:28 -0400 (EDT)

Larry,

Like Merrill points out, the Eupithecias can be very difficult to
tell apart by sight.  But given the date and especially the somewhat
long forewings, this looks like Eupithecia matheri (7509.1).  There
is difference in wing length between males and females and I often
find longer- and shorter-winged ones at the same time.  Later in
spring I tend to find Eupithecia with shorter, more rounded forewings
that I've tenatively called Commons.  I've got some photos of E. matheri
online at

http://www-chaos.engr.utk.edu/~kde/leps/species/Geometridae/Larentiinae/7509.1/7509.1.html

Also see James Adams' site (he confirmed mine a few years ago):

http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Larry McDaniel wrote:

I sent these two to BugGuide I.D. Request.

One may be Adana Tip Moth - Hodges#2877 (Rhyacionia adana) 3-18-10.

One may be Common Eupithecia - Hodges#7474 (Eupithecia miserulata) 3-18-10.

They came to my porch light in Johnson City, TN (Washington County).

Larry McDaniel