[THIN] Re: if you could only choose one...

  • From: Magnus Hjorleifsson <magnus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:03:04 -0400

I hate to say this but it depends on the apps you are looking to deploy.

If you need to have 2 apps ( custom app with hooks onto outlook say) you would be better off with a local install of both. Less headaches that way.

It also depends on the overall implementation and business goals . For example if you are looking at not soloing them to specfic servers then app streaming in conjunction with 64 bit os will give you a great scalable efficient environment with the caveat that apps that need to interact with each other may have to be streamed in the same package ( so long as it doesn't need a service installed like tibco as that won't work streamed)

Sorry for the long winded answer, I just went through this at my company and we ended up using a combination of apps siloed and apps strreamed where scalability and efficiency would allow ( task based workers with 10 or 15 apps)

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2009, at 18:06, "Wilson, Christopher" <CMWilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good point. In this case, app deployment across all platforms is not a requirement. It is just for the Citrix environment.

I see app virtualization adding a lot of value. I wasn’t considerin g Citrix “client side virtualization”, I think it’s called, for this. Perhaps I should. What I would rather avoid is a case of tr ying the citrix solution to see what I get, and then being faced wit h local install or a second app virt solution if the packaging succe ss rate is too low.

So to frame it another way, is the performance gain from 64bit Windows 2008 significant enough that I would want to live with what app virt XenApp can buy me and live without App-V all together?