[THIN] Re: OT - Library Computer for Internet Access Only

  • From: "Roger Riggins" <Roger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 18:11:10 -0500

I do a lot of consulting for libraries. One of the best setups I have is
a machine (doesn't matter what os but they are using windows me) that
runs public web browser and fortress 101. They are bullet proof. You
could take it a step further and put deep freeze or clean slate on, but
if you've got your fortres locked down tight enough they won't be able
to screw it up. The browser opens at startup and they aren't able to
close it or alt tab out of it. They can't access anything on the local
computer. We use them strictly for opacs using a web based circulation
system.

By the way, clean slate is a hundred times better than deep freeze but a
little more expensive. I have some configs that you can plop into your
installs if you'd like them.

ROGER RIGGINS
A+, MCSE, CCNA, CCA
ACES 319-352-1234