[THIN] Re: Doug Brown thinks Citrix is the "Madonna" ofVirtualization

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 22:55:25 -0700

This is a long standing debate between Joe and I . To me VDI, and most
hypervisor virtualizations for that matter, are just not efficient enough. For
applications that require remoting and certain kinds of processing I am sure
there is a good match, i.e. stock traders, CAD engineers working at a distance,
etc.

The case we are pondering more and more is where remoting is needed but the
requirements to get the application set working in TS are highly complicated.
These may not be highly specialized apps, but apps that just don't play well in
TS. We have made some incredibly difficult apps work together on TS, but in the
end you have a very complicated system that is hard to upgrade and change. So
for certain organizations that have the skills to manage a PC but not a complex
TS environment, VDI starts to become attractive.

One of our Bri-Forum sessions is called "Y-VDI" in which we will outline all
the use cases we can think of that support VDI.

My main issues with VDI are lack of efficiency, i.e. a really big ass server
might support 15-20 users, that completely sucks!!

This is going to be an interesting one to watch and get involved it to see
where it really works and where it falls flat on it's face!!

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85266
(602) 432-8649
www.thinclient.net
steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Douglas Brown <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:23:49
To:<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: Doug Brown thinks Citrix is the "Madonna" of
 Virtualization

I don’t get it???

 But, I actaully sat down one night and wrote 4 articles, one after another.  I
had a few things I wanted to get out of me.  One of those, which I will release
next week is title, “Citrix Provisioning Server, Why it is my Favorite Citrix
Technology”...  So, that is Ardence.... But Where does Sean Penn come in to
play?

 On 6/5/08 10:09 PM, "Greg Reese" <gareese@xxxxxxxxx <gareese@xxxxxxxxx> >
wrote:

 so does that make Ardence the photog punching Sean Penn?

 On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Steve Greenberg <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:
 Yup, they keep pushing it Over the Borderline, but let's face it, in the
Hypervisor world Citrix is Like a Virgin….

 Steve Greenberg

 Thin Client Computing

 34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453

 Scottsdale, AZ 85266