[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:47:40 -0600

There was definitely a chill in the air but birding was good. The flooded
Smartweed was full of Northern Pintails(5000 or more) and Mallards.  There were
about 3500 white geese on the lake at noon. At the bottom of the hill at Goode
we observed 9 Red-breasted Mergansers feeding with a group of 22 Hooded
Mergansers with a group of Bonaparte's Gulls in attendance.  We also saw 4
Buffleheads which were the first we have observed at the refuge this year. On
the road to Meadow Pond we observed a Bobcat and shortly thereafter in the
pipeline easement about a quarter of a mile north of Meadow Pond we observed a
group of 31 Wild Turkeys feeding. All of a sudden a large black feral hog came
charging out of the woods alarming the turkeys which then took flight and flew
more than a hundred yards, a sight not often observed at the refuge verifying
that turkeys are very capable fliers. At Deaver Pond we saw Northern Shovelers,
more Hooded Mergansers and a Belted Kingfisher.  On Plover Pad we observed a
Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk up close as it was feeding.  We finished the day with
70 species plus 3 other taxa.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/emailsubID=S21333721
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR