[telnet] Re: synchronet, was Re: List status

  • From: "Dan Murphy" <mweeby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <telnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 05:24:39 -0400

> Hi.
> Interesting point.
> I don't expect that any given BBS web page would get that popular any
time
> soon, and if you're not able to run a web server because you're on
dialup or
> your isp won't allow it, that's fine. Just use the page for you're users
and
> promote your board in other ways.
Well I find the node status option offered by the current version of
Synchronet is a refreshing page that isn't exactly friendly to Lynx users,
but I have put a telnet link on part of my web site where I have a page
explaining a little about BBSes, and how I came to start one.

 It would only take a dozen or so sysops
> who were capable of taking lots of traffic to get the awareness of the
> community up online. Even if most sysops don't use the web server like I
> said earlier, some will and having about 10 more BBS pages in the search
> engines will help.
>
> By the way, more proof BBss aren't quite dead yet. There's still one
site
> that keeps track of BBS news, and there are quite a few recent items.
Seems
> that mystic BBS which is also free is reaching synchronet style levels
of
> popularity among new sysops. Check out the news page.
>
> http://bbsnews.vbsoft.org
> I don't like mystic myself, but some sware by it.
I've only had 1 or 2 experiences with Mystic, myself, but as I recall it
was a bit messy with speech, and when I attempted to damp down all the
ansi, the poor sysop thought something was wrong and he pulled me into
chat to ask why, so I had to spend the better part of an hour explaining,
and all that jazz.

>  Back to the subject of synchronet dominating, maybe not for long. A
quick
> search through SourceForge.net turns up a hand full of new BBS platforms
> under development which should be out over the next few years. Maybe the
> days of several systems competing are coming again.
> Revival, revolution and star BBS are all coming up just to name a few.

Well Synchronet is the only one I've checked out, and Rob Swindell seems
to be quite successful in migrating to a more Win32 orientation without
sacrificing accessibility.  that is, he seems to stick to conventional
windows controls.

Dan Murphy
mailto:mweeby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mweeby/
BBS: telnet://mansion-bbs.dyndns.org

---
To unsubscribe from the telnet list, send a blank message to
telnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the subject.  Make sure this
is sent from your actual subscribed email address.  To contact the list owner,
write to telnet-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  This list's home page is at
<http://members.cox.net/~baechler/>.