[telnet] List status

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: telnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:10:34 -0700

Hello all.  I feel that this list has finally reached a point where asking
this question is necessary.  Rather than arbitrarily making my decision, I
want user input.  I know there are only about a dozen active subscribers,
and maybe 20 at most, but it there is a majority ruling I will go along
with it.

Here is the bottom line.  The list has had minimal traffic for quite
awhile.  I have been getting more and more spam via the list lately.  Since
I am the moderator, you never see it, but on average I would guess that I
get at least one piece of junkmail daily, sometimes 3-4.  That is no big
deal, but for a semi-moderated list it is.  I could put blocks or filters
in place, but non-subscribers could never post if that happened.  That was
only an issue once, but I would like to invite anyone to join and if there
is something worthwhile to post, I would like to leave the option open for
one-time posters.  I hope that makes sense.  Anyway, because of the ratio
of spam to content, I have finally decided that it is probably time to
close the list.  What do you think?

If I get no or little feedback, the list will be closed in about a week or
so.  YOu can post your comments to the list or me privately.  If discussion
can be stimulated, so much the better, but I fear that is not happening
either.  As far as my Synchronet programs for "Main Menu," I have no idea
when I can get back to them.  It is a little better now as far as my free
time but I have been extremely busy because of an upcoming move next
month.  Since I am moving, the last thing I have time for right now is a
Synchronet tutorial.  Besides, if Justin is correct, the official 3.10
should be out relatively soon, so maybe I should wait?  Anyway, I am
interested in your comments.  If the list stays open, something must be
done about the spam from my end.  It is way out of hand considering the
small size of this list and low traffic.

Thanks for reading and I am interested in your opinions.

---
To unsubscribe from the telnet list, send a blank message to
telnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the subject.  Make sure this
is sent from your actual subscribed email address.  To contact the list owner,
write to telnet-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  This list's home page is at
<http://members.cox.net/~baechler/>.