[TechAssist] Re: difficulty w/tiny surface mount components

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:14:58 -0500

For little sm diodes, resitors and transistors, I use #0 (black coded)
Chemwick solder wick to remove them. Then to hold them while soldering
them on the board, I use a bit of masking tape to hold the one end of
the part while I solder the other end. Then I remove the tape and finish
soldering. For larger IC's, the types with 64 or 80 pins, you can cut
all the legs off with a dremel tool then remove the leg pieces with
solder wick. Or there is a chemical called Chip Quick which helps remove
these flat pack IC's. I personally haven't used it yet so I can't
comment too much on it.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7