[TechAssist] Re: Diode testing

  • From: "majorthom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <majorthom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi-Finally an answer

Pete
J Silverman <greentron@xxxxxxx> wrote:
If light can get to the diode junction, it will generate a voltage. For
silicon diodes, up to about 0.6 volts. It will deliver current to a load. If
you apply an external reverse biasing voltage greater than the generated
voltage, a reverse current will flow proportional to the light intensity.
These are the effects that let you make photovoltaic battery chargers and
lightmeters. You can hook a transparent diode across your scope input to
view the output pulses from a remote control handset.
Also will drive you crazy if you are troubleshooting a circuit with diodes
in certain places in the circuit. I recall one such case with transparent
glass diodes back to back as clamps across the input of an op amp. Symptoms
kept changing as I moved around. Replaced them with diodes in opaque cases
and then I was able to go on with the troubleshooting.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609