[TechAssist] Diode testing

  • From: Paul <dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:10:49 -0700 (PDT)

When checking diodes for leakage, what range on the ohm meter do you use and is
there an acceptable amount?  Sounds like electronics 101 but I have a couple of
diodes that are flat case diodes mounted on a heat sink. They read 160  front
to back on the diode check. No reading back to front. However they read 20k on
the ohms scale. If heated this reading goes down to 2 or 3 K. I normally set my
meter on 100k ohm for leakage. I thought they must be leaking. But wondered if
there are some big diodes that test this way normally? Someone said that 10X
the back to front was normal. These are in the secondary of a SMPS + & --  25v
to convergence amps.
                                                                      Paul

Paul ,B
Central TV&Video