[TechAssist] Re: Diode testing

  • From: mebonnell@xxxxxxxxx (Old TV Man)
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:20:27 -0500

Paul that depends on what type of meter you use.
I use a RCA vtvm set on low ohms. With the negative lead to the cathode
and the positive to the anode you should read 10 ohms. Connected
reversed you should read nothing even with the high ohms scale.
I found digital meters to be different.

Max Bonnell
Bonnell TV
Robinson, IL

Sender: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx(Paul) Date: Thu, Aug 26, 2004, 7:10pm (CDT-2) To:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [TechAssist] Diode testing Reply=A0to:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When checking diodes for leakage, what range on the ohm meter do you use
and is there an acceptable amount? Sounds like electronics 101 but I
have a couple of diodes that are flat case diodes mounted on a heat
sink. They read 160 front to back on the diode check. No reading back to
front. However they read 20k on the ohms scale. If heated this reading
goes down to 2 or 3 K. I normally set my meter on 100k ohm for leakage.
I thought they must be leaking. But wondered if there are some big
diodes that test this way normally? Someone said that 10X the back to
front was normal. These are in the secondary of a SMPS + & -- 25v to
convergence amps. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
=A0 =A0 =A0 Paul
Paul ,B
Central TV&Video
911W Grand Ave